Monday, February 23, 2015

Kevin & Minecraft!

After first meeting Kevin at Hawthorne I knew two things: I was working with an extremely gifted and intelligent 4th grader, and I was going to have a great experience helping him with his writing.  Somewhat timid and reserved, I could tell that Kevin knows (and thinks) a lot more than he sometimes puts out.  My goal will be to help him express all of his thoughts on paper through his writing.  Luckily, he has chosen a topic that he is passionate about and that will help him in developing ideas (this topic also happens to be something that I am somewhat passionate about).  The topic is none other than the widely popular video game Minecraft!


An open world game that allows players to create their own world using hundreds of different materials and resources, Minecraft is fantastic game that can be useful in many content subjects.  For Kevin, it will allow him to use his background knowledge and personal experience to help in the creative process of his own writing.  I am excited to be working with him, as it will allow me the opportunity to find out more about this great tool and how I can use it in the future.

Below I have already found some helpful links explaining how Minecraft can be used to help in the writing process, and have included a couple of ideas of my own:

Minecraft Writing Prompts - This useful website has a list of prompts that relate to options that the player can make within the game.  Would you rather play the game on survival mode or creative mode?  Write your answer and explain why.

Writing and Literacy Through Minecraft - This website explains how to structure journal entries around playing the game, having students keep record of their progress through written entries

How to Make Letter and Numbers in Minecraft - Exactly what it's title says, this website is somewhat elementary, but still extremely helpful, for teaching students how to write the letters of the alphabet.

"How to" Project (own idea) - We have all had to do this project at sometime throughout our schooling: write detailed instructions telling a reader how to do a certain task.  Why not make it fun and have students write list about how to do certain actions in Minecraft?  How to survive the first night in survival mode.  How to create an enchanting table.  How to create a nether portal, etc.

21 comments:

  1. Good thinking using Minecraft as a building block for writing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great way to incorporate something a student is passionate about into their writing! They will definitely be more eager to write!

    ReplyDelete
  3. If I link through to these sites maybe I'll actually learn what Minecraft is about.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is awesome! Appealing to students' interest is super helpful for assignments :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Making connections to what the student's interests is a great way to keep them motivated and engaged.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your resources for this subject! I will definitely look into this and try to utilize it for myself!! I will cite you of course ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wonderfully creative way to teach to your students' interests.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really like how you took Kevin's interest and then built upon it to create that connection with him.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Really creative way to inspire writing!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the structure for your blog ... super resourceful!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Minecraft and eduction - genius. Sheer genius.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Excellent way to engage students by drawing on their personal interests!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love your resources for this subject! I will definitely look into this and try to utilize it for myself!! I will cite you of course ;)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Really creative way to inspire writing!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great work using student driven content to get them writing!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love the activity idea at the end of the post. Also, connecting students to writing through video games or other hobbies is almost a guaranteed home run, way to run with it.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love that you made connections with the student's interests

    ReplyDelete
  18. Great ideas, and great resources!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love the activity idea at the end of the post. Also, connecting students to writing through video games or other hobbies is almost a guaranteed home run, way to run with it.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Excellent incorporation of the student's interests into your teaching practice. Great looking resources!

    ReplyDelete