Monday, March 16, 2015

A Conclusion, but not an Ending

          Kevin’s story, much like his writing, is an on-going process that is continually developing. As we have finished our one-on-one mentoring sessions, I have not been able to perform any type of culminative evaluation (assessment of learning). Nonetheless, Kevin has invited me to edit his work with me in a Google Docs and I am able to go in every couple of days to see his progress and leave comments and suggestions. Just the other day I logged in at the same time as him and was able to make suggestions and corrections simultaneously as he wrote. This technology allows me to do the same work with him online that I would do in person.

          If I had to evaluate Kevin’s story and his writing right now, I would say that he is a developing writer and that he is a solid level 3 with a couple of level 4’s in some criteria. But more than assessing him on what he has thus far produced, I hope that I have assessed Kevin in a way that has taught him how to continue developing as a writer. He now knows that he can choose topics that interest him and that he can incorporate strategies in his writing that he sees in other stories and that make his story just as interesting. I have also learnt that clear guidelines and criteria can help students focus on specific aspects of their writing and give them the push they need to develop a passion for what they are writing. But perhaps the biggest thing I will take away from this entire project is my new friendship with Kevin.

1 comment:

  1. Mitchel, check out this professional custom writing service if interested. They have the option to check your content and proofread it. I used this service while I had been writing my last blog. These guys are great professionals. Hope it helps.

    P.S.
    You have a great blog and write in very unusual manner. Keep it up! I will wait for you latest updates.

    ReplyDelete